Commissioner of Canada Elections
Canada Elections Act
This notice is published by the Commissioner of Canada Elections, pursuant to section 521.34(2) of the Canada Elections Act, S.C. 2000, c. 9.
On May 24, 2023, the Manager, Compliance Unit at the Office of the Commissioner of Canada Elections accepted an undertaking from Angela Bianco, pursuant to section 521.13 of the Canada Elections Act. The text of the undertaking is set out in full below.
August 21, 2023
Pursuant to section 521.13 of the Canada Elections Act (the Act), and the authority delegated to her in accordance with section 509.23 of the Act, the Manager of the Compliance Unit (Manager) has accepted this undertaking from Angela Bianco. The undertaking is aimed at ensuring compliance with the Act.
The relevant provision of the Act is subsection 477.59(1), which requires the official agent of a candidate to provide the Candidate’s Electoral Campaign Return and other required documents (Return) to the Chief Electoral Officer.
Section 508.1 of the Act makes it a violation to contravene this provision.
Statements of Angela Bianco
For the purpose of this undertaking, Angela Bianco acknowledges the following:
- Angela Bianco was the spouse of, and the official agent for, Francesco Ciardullo, the People’s Party of Canada candidate for the riding of Davenport during the 43rd federal general election, which was held on October 21, 2019.
- Under subsection 477.59(7) of the Act, Angela Bianco was required to produce the Return within four months of polling day, that is, no later than February 21, 2020.
- As of the date of the signing of this undertaking, the Return has not yet been provided to the Chief Electoral Officer.
- The failure to produce the Return is due in part to Angela Bianco’s lack of knowledge and experience with respect to her roles and responsibilities as an official agent.
Factors considered by the Manager of the Compliance Unit
In accepting this undertaking, the Manager took into account the factors set out in paragraph 32 of the Compliance and Enforcement Policy of the Commissioner of Canada Elections. In particular, the Manager considered the following:
- the absence of previous non-compliance with the Act;
- the need for compliance and enforcement action to maintain trust in the political financing system;
- this undertaking will enhance future general compliance by making the requirement to submit the Return within the required timeframe under subsections 477.59(1) and (7) of the Act better known to official agents.
Terms and Conditions
Angela Bianco undertakes to comply with subsection 477.59(1) of the Act by submitting, within 30 days of the signing of this undertaking by the Manager, a Return considered complete by the Chief Electoral Officer.
Pursuant to subsection 521.13(4) of the Act, the Manager has informed Angela Bianco that this undertaking will be published on the Commissioner’s website, as required by subsection 521.34(2) of the Act.
The Manager agrees that the fulfillment by Angela Bianco of the obligations as stated herein will constitute compliance with the undertaking.
In accordance with section 508.1 of the Act, failure to comply with any term or condition of this undertaking may result in the issuance of a Notice of Violation imposing an administrative monetary penalty against Angela Bianco.
Signed by Angela Bianco in the City of Toronto, in the province of Ontario, this 23rd day of May, 2023.
Signed by the Manager of the Compliance Unit in the City of Gatineau, in the province of Québec, this 24th day of May, 2023.
Sylvie El Hamarneh
Manager, Compliance Unit